Winterize Your Vacant Commercial Property
Protect your investment!
Don’t forget to winterize your Vacant Commercial Property!
Keep your vacant property in top condition for showings during the upcoming winter months. Below are a few suggestions to prevent unnecessary damage and costs:
- Keep your heaters low for a comfortable environment for potential tenants viewing the property, but more importantly leaving a heater off can lead to frozen pipes.
- Service your heaters and replace filters twice a year in vacant buildings to save energy and money.
- Test the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Caulk around pipes where they enter the building.
- Insulate exposed irrigation system lines.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to insure proper drainage and less ice build-up.
- Shut off water to outside bibs and faucets at the shut-off valves. Open the outside valve to allow remaining water to drain and detach all water hoses from the hose bibs.
- If outside temperatures drop extremely low, then all interior water faucets (hot & cold) should be left with the water running at a fast drip or a low trickle.
- Pour anti-freeze into toilets (tanks & bowls), urinals and sinks to keep p-traps from freezing.
- Keep the walks and parking lot clear of snow and ice.
- Finally, check the property every week of so if possible. Unexpected winter effects can still occur. Frequent visits can help spot a problem early before damage is done.
Be Safe & Have a Happy Winter Season!